Adventure Cycle-Touring HandbookOrdinær pris 229,00 kr
...the definitive guide to how, where, why and what to do on a cycle expedition...' Adventure Travel Magazine (UK) Every cyclist dreams of making the Big Trip, the Grand Cycle Tour abroad. Whether that's a two-week trip or a year-long journey, the Adventure Cycle-Touring Handbook is the comprehensive manual that will make that dream a reality. Riding across Asia, cycling in Africa or pedaling from Patagonia to Alaska, whether you're planning your own Big Trip or just enjoy reading about other people's adventures, the Handbook is guaranteed to illuminate, entertain and above all, inspire.
This fully revised 3rd edition includes: PART 1 - Practical information *How to prepare for a long-distance trip*What to look for in a new bike with reviews of some of the world's best touring- and trekking-bikes*Adapting a standard bike for the Big Ride*Choosing components, equipment for the road and reviews of camping gear*Health precautions, inoculations, visas, money and safety PART 2 - Worldwide route outlines Across Europe, Asia, Australasia, North and South America and Africa; recommended routes within countries and overland. Everything from popular routes eg India's Leh-Manali Highway to lesser-known cycle-touring areas such as Mongolia. PART 3 - Tales from the Saddle Ten first-hand accounts of spoke-bending biking adventures worldwide.
Introduction Why are so many people going bike touring these days? A minority pastime during the heyday of the car, cycling has once again become a popular choice for travellingespecially for long overseas trips. The first cycle-touring craze began in the 1870s. Then, as now, the bicycle offered a revolutionary way of touring: you go exactly where you want, when you want, and all under your own steam.
This was before the age of the car and walking or riding a horse were the only other options until the bicycle. In 1885 the Rover Safety Bicycle came along, and for all the innovation since then, most modern touring bicycles would be recognizable to a Victorian, as would their derailleur gears. Bike touring is undergoing a boom at the moment but it is really one of many periodic rediscoveries.
Bicycle design, components and gear are evolving to suit the changing needs and tastes of people. It's a combination of experimentation and using tried and tested designs, such as the 'diamond' frame of the Rover Safety Bicycle. The Adventure Cycle-Touring Handbook is all about looking at what people are choosing and using: what kind of bikes, what gear and what destinations are being chosen by today's bike tourers.
There are many reasons for taking a bike on your next long trip. My own guess as to why bike touring is back in fashion is that many travellers get burned out by backpacking, which really amounts to travelling by bus and train for most of the time. Buses are certainly fast but they go from one noisy town to another, leaving little possibility of exploring the spaces in between, the places where the bus doesn't stop.
Forfattere: Stephen Lord
Publisert måned: Mai
Publisert år: 2010
Sider nr: 312
Adventure Motorcycling HandbookOrdinær pris 249,00 kr
In print since 1991 and now in full colour, the EIGHTH edition of the ADVENTURE MOTORCYCLING HANDBOOK remains the legendary travel bible for two-wheeled adventurers. Dreaming of taking on the Big Trip? From Kathmandu to Machu Picchu or Mongolia to Patagonia (via Tanzania), AMH8 tells you everything you need to know on how to ride Africa, Asia and Latin America, aka: the Adventure Motorcycling Zone (AMZ). * With 448-fact-filled pages including contributions from a team of earth roaming, overlanding experts.
* When, where and how, essential documentation, two dozen travel bikes rated, pages and pages on adapting and equipping your bike plus Life on the Road: borders, visas, money changing, air freight or shipping, comms and trackers, police trouble, mapping and navigation, off-road riding, troubleshooting and repairs, medical emergencies, wild camping and gear. * Trans-Continental Route Outlines give you an idea of the best way to traverse the AMZ; which borders, fuel costs, where to get visas and catch ferries and where not to go.
Forfatter: Chris Scott
Antall sider: 468
Publisert: Jul 2020
Coast to Coast PathOrdinær pris 199,00 kr
All-in-one, practical guide to walking the Coast to Coast Path across northern England inspired by Alfred Wainwright. Fully revised 8th edition of this classic 191-mile walk from the Irish Sea to the North Sea. Crossing three national parks - the Lake District, the Yorkshire Dales, and the North York Moors - it samples the very best of the English countryside - rugged mountains and lakes, gentle dales and stone-built villages; wild moorland; sea cliffs and fishing villages.
The guide includes: * 109 large-scale walking maps - at just under 1:20,000 - showing route times, places to stay, places to eat, points of interest, and 9 town plans. * 14 colour stage maps to help plan your walk, including hills and descents. * Places to stay with reviews - campsites, bunkhouses, hostels, B&Bs, pubs and hotels.
* Places to eat with reviews - cafes, teashops, pubs, takeaways, restaurants. * What to see from the path - history, culture, natural history. * Comprehensive public transport information - for all access points on the path.
* Flora and fauna - four page full colour flower guide, plus an illustrated section on local wildlife. * Itineraries for all walkers - whether walking the route in its entirety over two weeks or sampling the highlights on day walks and short breaks. * Green hiking - understanding the local environment and minimizing our impact on it.
Forfattere: Henry Stedman
Publisert måned: Apr
Publisert år: 2018
Sider nr: 268
Cornwall Coast PathOrdinær pris 199,00 kr
Practical, complete hiking route guide, with maps and accommodation for the 288-mile footpath that runs around the entire coastline of Cornwall, from Bude to Plymouth; Part 2 of the South-West-Coast Path, a 630-mile National Trail from Minehead to Poole. Includes * 142 large-scale walking maps (3 1/8inches to 1 mile), 24 town plans, 21 stage maps and overview map. * Itineraries for all walkers - whether walking the route in its entirety over a week to 10 days or sampling the highlights on day walks and short breaks * GPS waypoints * Practical information for all budgets - camping, bunkhouses, hostels, B&Bs, pubs and hotels; where to stay, where to eat, what to see.
* Comprehensive public transport information - for all access points on the coast path * Flora and fauna - 6 page full colour, flower, butterfly, bird guide * Green hiking - understanding the local environment and minimizing our impact on it * Plus extra colour sections: 16pp colour introduction and 21pp of colour mapping for stage sections (one stage per page) with trail profiles, and colour overview map. * Also includes the route across the North Devon border, Hartland Quay to Bude.
Forfattere: Henry s, joel
Publisert måned: Mai
Publisert år: 2019
Sider nr: 380
OVERLANDERS' HANDBOOKOrdinær pris 349,00 kr
Chris Scott and his band of globetrotting contributors and specialists have put together the definitive manual for planning and undertaking a vehicle-dependent overlanding adventure across the wilds of Asia, Africa and Latin America. The Overlanders' Handbook is written in the same entertaining yet clear jargon-free English for which Chris's other books are known - it doesn't assume you know your plug gap from a radiator cap. This second edition has been re-researched and updated into a more compact book published as a paperback, rather than a hardback as before.
Includes: 1. Planning - When to go; typical costs; documentation; sponsorship; early overland journeys. 2.
Vehicle choice and preparation - The Overlanders' Handbook is the most comprehensive account in print, covering everything from adapting a cheap car to equipping a campervan or 4x4 for months on the road, or even building and outfitting your own accommodation module to mount on an all-terrain truck chassis. 3. Life on the road - How to handle dodgy borders, haggle over a purchase, treat a dodgy stomach and cope with crazy driving conditions.Guidance on wild camping; navigation and mapping strategies; onward shipping; advice for solo women overlanders; travelling with children or with pets; vehicle repairs and troubleshooting; and off-road driving techniques.
4. Continental route outlines - Guidelines on both popular and obscure overland routes through Asia, Africa and Latin America. Includes fuel prices, easiest borders and best seasons, visa strategies, danger zones and regional highlights.
5. Overlanders' Tales - Half a dozen accounts of global adventures lasting months or even years in vans, 4x4s and all-terrain trucks - from contributors aged from 9 to 69. 6.
Forfattere: Chris scott
Publisert måned: -
Publisert år: 2017